Wow, I have so over-scheduled myself this week. I, of course didn't find any writing time on the weekend, I never do. I didn't write yesterday because I was out at the Rec centre with the kids and some other homeschoolers, and then I folded laundry and organized some toys in my family room til 1 am. My mountains of laundry that had piled on my couch are finally folded and put away! But I am way behind on my writing.

I got busy on my housework at 8 am again, because my girlfriend was bringing her kids over at 10. I watched them while she went for a hair appointment. The kids had a blast with their friends and as bonus I got to visit with my girlfriend for a few hours afterward. Then I prepped dinner and took the boys to taekwondo. My dad is spending the night tonight on his way home from work, so I am looking forward to visiting with him tonight. But that also means no writing. Tomorrow is scheduled from 9 am til 10pm! Before I know it I will be a week behind and the month is almost over and I am starting to freak out a little!
I am rediscovering the need for balance in my life, there are a lot of demands on my time. I have four kids with various activities. I am responsible for providing them with an education, pretty much solely responsible. My dh has been working out of town for the entire month. On the few days he has been home, he really wants and deserves my attention. So no writing. I have a house to keep clean and organized and food to buy and prepare. I am really feeling the time crunch that all moms feel, that there are never enough hours in the day. Spending an hour or two a day writing didn't seem like a huge deal at first, but it has become very difficult. Yesterday and today I avoided it by plunging into my housework that has been building up. And I feel a bit better, I even took the time to write tonight. I just got in today's word count, but it is a million times better than falling behind another day.
Finishing this novel is important to me, even just for the satisfaction of meeting a goal. I am going to take the time to do it. This weekend will be very difficult to take time out to write. My dh will be home, and we just want to spend time together. He hates me having my attention glued to the computer. But I think he will be understanding and give me the hours I need to catch up, maybe I can get ahead and actually finish on time!
How do you find balance in your life? How do you find time to do things that you love, while keeping up with family and home and career?

Comments

  1. It's hard to find time to do everything. There's also the guilt factor involved, when you do decide to do something that doesn't seem to have immediate, tangible benefits to your family. Like writing or even reading.

    I don't even homeschool my kids, but I still find it difficult to always balance everything properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard but I believe we all deserve our "one thing" as long as it doesn't out balance everything else (and who could out balance housework, lol). And I think it's important for each family member to "get" to do their one thing. I think it shows our kids each of our individualisms and that yes some other things are more important but that this is important to ME too.

    For me it's knitting, it destresses me and gives me pleasure which makes for a happier me therefore a happier home so I make sure I get my 20 minutes in a day (sometimes more) but if it's really a crazy day I make sure it's the last thing I do before I go to bed (I wake up happier knowing I "got my time in").

    Also we've declared a guilt free zone in my home. My husband was feeling guilty sometimes for his "me" time so we agreed to agree on a no guilt zone and that if it becomes an issue that we promise to discuss it with each other, rather than feeling guilty, if it's not discussed it means we are ok with it. YES sometimes it SEEMS very inconvenient to be going out to do "our thing" but in the end it all works itself out. I think I'll go knit now, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My me time is pretty much limited to my blog and that's fine. It really keeps me sane. I don't have any diea how you do all that you do with 4 kids - you're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment that your dh wants and deserves your attention after being away most of the month...it's true, but it's also true that you've been left alone to pick up the slack, and you deserve some time to yourself as well. Try to make sure that both happen.

    We're cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I really appreciate it! and need it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts