The Boy becomes a TEENAGER!

My oldest baby boy turned 13 today! And at church this morning he was baptized, following in the footsteps of his Lord Jesus Christ, telling the world that he is a Christian and wants to serve God with his whole heart.
I spent the entire day in tears. Literally sobbing from the time I awoke til now. I didn't think watching my son officially leave childhood would be quite so hard. I am just so enormously proud of him, so in awe of the young man he has become. If you knew him, you couldn't help but love him, his enormous heart just bursts forth from his every pore. Through his every word and deed.
13 years ago, I was a very scared but excited, 19 year old girl. Praying that her baby would be born healthy and strong and SOON! After 3 days of inductions, I just wanted to meet him (read: O. U. T. OUT. Out of my body.!) I honestly was not that afraid of whether or not I would be a good Mom, I was too naive to really even question it. I went through those early years on Love and instinct and gut feelings. (and a ton of Prayers) I of course read everything I could, and followed the examples I had been given. And I made tons of mistakes, still do.
But in spite of me, he has turned out pretty darn amazing. He is everything a mother hopes her son will be, and immeasurably more than I could have imagined. He is the most compassionate person I have ever met. He is naturally helpful and kind and friendly and loyal. He is flippin' brilliant. And he is the toughest, tender-hearted person I know. (well, other than his Dad) He adores everything about hockey and is passionate about taekwondo. Science and nature top his list of 'things he can never learn enough about'. He always has his nose in a book, literally. (Just like his Mom) His imagination has never stopped astounding us since he learned to talk, and I can't wait to read the novel he is writing this month.
He loves God with his whole heart and His presence in B's life is evident in all he does. He truly serves God.
I could gush for hours and hours, I love my boy so much and as hard as it is to leave his boyhood behind (thankfully not entirely, he is still, thankfully, very innocent in many ways) I am truly looking forward to watching him grow into a man of God.

We had a wonderful day. Dh's extended family all came to church with us in the morning for the Baptism and then we all went for lunch together. B's choice was an all-you-can-eat buffet, something we hadn't done since he was a baby, it was actually really nice. Wonderful food, great service, and perfect for taking a large group that included seniors and preschoolers. It was so special for us that they all came and shared the day with us. Other than DH's Mom and stepdad, the rest of them are not church-goers, and the few that have any church background were either Ukrainian orthodox or Catholic. I imagine our church was a bit of culture shock, but they were all pleasantly surprised by the friendly, accepting atmosphere.
I amazingly made it through this post without any more tears. My heart is just so full of love and wonder in the child God gave me.

K, I was trying to post the pics, but blogger won't let me, so maybe I will scrapbook them and show you the pages:)

Comments

  1. How wonderful! Tell Brea how totally proud we are of him! I wish we could have been there to see him make his step of faith.
    Happy Birthday to your wonderful oldest son from us! We know how amazing he is too!
    Love you and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you had a great day. Your son sounds like a wonderful boy.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....where kleenex?...sniff....

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome! What an incredible day I can't imagine (except for the crying the whole day, that's EXACTLY what I would of done). Congrats to the birthday boy on turning 13 and his baptism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a wonderful young man. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post...Happy birthday B!! My heart and hugs go to you Kristen...so hard to see our babies grow, but he's proof you are such a great mom!!
    xox
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts