Getting somewhere



I rewarded myself last night by taking an hour to scrapbook. I did up this page of my Dad and my baby girl, I just adore this photo of them together the last time he visited. She runs around the house looking for him and calling his name, she just adores him.
Big day for our Monkey Boy on Saturday! He finally decided he was ready for a big boy bed:) We went down to toysrus and picked up this little toddler bed for him. Even though he is 3 1/2, he is so little, we hated the idea of putting him in a twin bed. He was so proud because he helped Daddy put together his bed.
When Grandma and Grandpa came for supper last night he told them how he helped Dad build his new bed-Grandma was so impressed thinking Daddy built it from scratch, lol. I refrained from mentioning that if Daddy built it, the bed would be maybe put together, but definitely not stained and it would be sitting unfinished in the garage til the babies were teenagers. I felt proud of myself for biting my tongue, as I have a tendancy to bring up those imfamous bookcases that have been sitting in the garage waiting for stain for the last 2 years.... You know the ones I said I needed to help organize Spidey's room over 2 years ago. The ones where I suggested a trip to Ikea to buy some bookcases and metal bins to put in his room, to control some of the playmobil and books overrunning his space. The ones where my dh said, "Oh! I can build some bookcases! Out of some beautiful wood, they will cost less and be so much nicer than that Ikea crap!"
And he did build them. We made a few couple hundred dollar runs to home depot, and I will be damned if he didn't put together some beautiful bookcases! He even made them according to the plans I drew up-well except for my very specific shelf spacing. I am a bit anal and I measured Spideys stuff so that the shelves would be spaced optimally for storing his things. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the wonderful job he did. and then he stopped. a couple short steps from finishing and he was bored and just stopped. No staining and sealing. Just beautiful bookcases sitting in the garage. Useless. empty. forgotten. a sliver in my side and a pain in my poor dh's ear! You have to actually feel sorry for those hunks of wood, not living up to their potential.
Anywayssss...
This weekend I finally got Spidey's room organized. (without the much mourned bookcases, lol) My boy and I spent hours mucking and sorting through all his crap. hours. I reassigned some ikea toy storage units from my family room reorganization, to store his playmobil. Daddy put together one of the Ikea bookshelves I made him buy for the family room (we have an extra because we decided to wrap around another wall in the family room with tall units.)
His room looks terrific! I can see his floor! We are keeping on him and making him tidy everynight. Of course it is only been 2 days, I guess we will see what it is like in a month or 2, lol.
The Boy mucked out his room too! Himself! I am so proud of what a good job he did, we took out all his hand me down furniture so that had to be emptied too. He did great, I was terribly impressed.
I finished up my room, it is finally ready for after pictures:) My new bedding is so comfy I could stay in bed all day long. In fact I am sitting on my bed typing this right now!
I finished up the babies room too. I am still waiting (after 2 years as well) for a final coat of paint so I can hang up all my pictures in there. I had custom pictures painted for in there and they have been sitting in the closet for 2 years! I really should just pull out the paint brush and roller and do these things myself. I did paint the trim and beadboard myself, but I am being stubborn. He said he would do it and I keep waiting for him to make good on that. Ridiculous I know.:) He is a great husband and he does so much for us and with us. I am writing all this with my tongue in my cheek, smiling at him. It is true, and it does bug me, but he is who he is. And he does the stuff that is important to him. And he is the one who got us all organizing and cleaning this weekend because he knew how important it was to me.
I feel really good about the progress we have made in the house. I have taken out tons of toys for goodwill, some bedding and I have 4 or 5 bins of clothing to go out of the house too. Dh and the 3 boys took a load to the dump yesterday too, Yay! There is a lot of stuff to go still, but we are making progress. It is amazing how much stuff you can collect in 13 years and 4 kids.

Oh! I forgot to mention how cute baby girl was about Monkey boy's new bed. She just kept repeating, "New bed! New bed!" After Daddy took apart her brother's crib, she took the screwdriver and wrench and tried to take apart her crib. She asked, "My new bed is? Where my new bed is?" She was very P.O.-ed that her brother was getting a new bed and she wasn't. After it was all built and JuJu got in his bed to try it out, girly tried to get in beside him. He was so not impressed, he got a little loud and pushy actually.
They have had a number of fights about the new bed since then. She gets in it whenever she gets a chance, and if he catches her in there he is so mad. Daddy wanted to run out and buy her one too. But she still takes a nap, because I can lock her in her crib, lol. If she could get out of it that would be the end of naps and she still needs to nap. I need her to nap. What would I do if she didn't nap??? argh! I can't think about that yet... I told Daddy if he felt that guilty he could buy her a nice convertable crib that turns into a bed after. One of the beautiful dark-stained wood ones I have been lusting after through these last 2 pregnacies and the 2 years since. So far he hasn't bitten....

Comments

  1. It' so true how much one can collect in a short time. Sometimes don't even realize it until you have to move it lol.
    Congratulations on getting the room stragihtened hope it works well for time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want' to see the finished photos of his room! I am almost done dd's but there is just too much to cram in there....gonna need to reorganize again. I love the new layouts! Gorgeous job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy! I have to get the monkey in a new bed before the new baby comes! You got me excited, thanks! Still nervous about it, though. I can see her "escaping" constantly!

    You reward yourself with scrapbooking, and I reward myself with cake...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, I love the story about the 2 of them fighting over the bed, lol! Congrats on getting sooo much accomplished! If only I had your energy! And gorgeous layouts BTW! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys rock! I actually know how long you've been waiting for those shelves etc lol.
    I have a theory that the stuff breeds while we aren't watching.
    I love Ju in his big boy beddy! SO CUTE! I bet Ara will be in one soon;-)
    All this makes me miss you guys even more!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts