Baby Fight Club

August 26, 2012

Earlier this week, I saw this article. It told of some day care workers, encouraging some toddlers in their care to fight, and egging them on. I was horrified, and I was horrified by the making light of it by calling it toddler fight club. It is really nothing to joke about, and I feel badly for the families involved.

Later that day, I mentioned it to my husband and said the phrase, 'toddler fight club' out loud. My almost 4 year old, Zed, overheard this and ran with it. For 3 days, the kids have been screeching, "Baby Fight Club!" and pretending to fight each other, like babies. They call Sunshine, 'The Milkman,' because he keeps spitting milk at them. Zed was pretending to shoot blueberries at his brothers. And the 2 of them have been pretending to box each other and wrestle each other, as they do anyway and see all of their siblings do. In a house of 5 boys, there is often wrestling and pretend battles! The baby fights inevitably turn into all 4 littles attacking daddy in a 4 on 1 melee, that ends when they all finally run out of steam and daddy is left whimpering on the bed...
The kids all agree that the Baby Fight Club champion would be Sunshine. He has a wicked left hook (which I have unfortunately experienced while trying to cuddle him!), is as tough as shoe leather and never, ever gives up.

I hesitate to share this story, because I don't want to make light of the daycare horror story. But my kids knew nothing of that and were just making a game for their amusement. In fact, at this moment, the middle 2 are pushing each other with pillows and pretending to knock one another into a mud pit. This is my life. Loud and active. And full of laughs.

Comments

Popular Posts