Ready to Launch

August 14, 2011
I know you can't tell by looking at me (wishful thinking...), but I have 2 teenaged sons. My eldest, affectionately blog-named, The Boy), is almost 17 and he is about to leave the nest. Well only for 2 weeks, but it feels like he will be gone forever! The Boy is on his way to Mexico with a group from our church to do a short-term mission. I couldn't be more proud of him, he has a servant's heart and missions is a perfect extension of that.
They will be in the far South of the Baja peninsula at a mission that houses an orphanage and has a macadamia nut orchard. They will be working with the kids, doing manual labour, clearing brush in the orchards and working in the migrant camps with both kids and adults. Real hands on, life-changing stuff. I can't wait for him to get home and tell me all about it!
After being up until after 11, doing last minute packing, we were up by 3:30 am to take him to the airport. I had a hard time not sobbing the whole way. I took him in, he joined his group and got checked in. He gave me a few hugs and I tried to choke back my tears. I was the only mom hanging around, so I soon made my exit, even though everything in me screamed that I should keep him in my sight as long as humanly possible.
I knew he was feeling my mixed emotions, he is empathetic to the extreme. When we asked him how he was feeling on the way to the airport, he said he was worried about how his little brothers and sisters would handle him being gone. We reassured him, and that is part of why I wanted to get out of there. He was excited and I didn't want to taint that.
When I got back out to the car, I told my husband that it was just like his first day of kindergarten. He ran off excitedly, ready for the new adventure, while I stood back, watching him in awe and balling. And I think that is how it is supposed to be. We raise them so that we can launch them off into the world. We are left behind, but hopefully ready to begin our next adventure too.




Comments

  1. YAY! You're back in this space!!!!

    First off - Congratulations! I see by Baby Sunshine's arrival, there was a lot going on since we talked last!

    Secondly - that is SO SO great that your son is going on a short term missions trip. I was 16 just about 17 when I spent 2 weeks in Nicaragua with Samaritan's Purse. It was an incredible experience. Challenged and changed me in so many ways...and not just because I met my future husband on the trip (don't worry, we waited 5 more years to marry) ;)

    It gave me a heart for those that were lacking basic essentials, but also opened my eyes that on the other end of the spectrum there is such joy in realizing the false promises of materialism. I went on to spend 5 months in Africa with YWAM and it too changed me even more. I hope God speaks to him in a new way while he's gone - I'm excited for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Poor mama. I don't think it'll ever get easier to see them make the "first step" of any big change. I practically cry NOW at the thought of their wedding days! Can't imagine what a wreck I'll be on the actual days...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts