Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.

So I have totally taken the low road. I still have not mentioned to my son that we missed his computer animation course yesterday. I figure if he can't even remember that he was supposed to go, he doesn't need me to remind him that I suck.
None of the kids even mentioned that we missed taekwondo last night either. I was napping when it was time to leave and no one came to ask to go, so....
Honestly, I think we are all just burnt out. We are taking the summer off of taekwondo and everything else. I can't wait til this week is over, because then we are done all of our commitments. Well there is youth group for the eldest and their volunteer work, but I am done.
My hubby mentioned that maybe we should completely simplify this year. No hockey or taekwondo this winter. I am ecstatic! Last winter I begged my husband to have the boys choose one or the other. Taekwondo is 3 to 4 nights a week and hockey is 2 to 3 ice times at least per child per week. I knew it was going to be crazy trying to keep up with all of that. Especially because my husband's work often takes him away from home in the fall, and his hours are usually insane. So that means me running around like a crazy person taking them to stuff.
So I am all for simplifying our life. With 4 kids wanting to do activities, and a brand new baby, life could easily get out of hand. Brent suggested that maybe we just get ski passes and he and the boys can go skiing on a regular basis. I think that would be amazing. Of course I was thinking to myself that maybe each kid could do something that is only one day a week. You know, cuz I am crazy like that. My hubby gives me an out and I am still looking for ways to make my life nutty.
But Girly is begging to take dance. begging. And I think the boys should keep their skating skills up...
We will see. I am not going to commit myself to anything right now. I am going to enjoy my summer off and I guess we will see what happens.

Comments

  1. YAY BRENT!!! Listen to your very smart man. Your babe will grow up so fast, just enjoy him for a year:)

    Oh and what size is Princess girlie? I have a pair of size 8 ballet slippers my girlie just outgrew...I can bring:)
    5 sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are way overcommitted. Take the summer off and then add one thing back. That's plenty. You don't want to lose track of who you are as a family because you're too busy rushing everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine having to keep up with so much stuff! Let alone while pregnant -- I couldn't even remember to put on mascara most mornings when I was pregnant. I think it's a great idea to simplify!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is a God! What a lovely gift to you to be thinking ahead to the fall like that! His idea about the skiing is a great one. Maybe if the kids show a great interest in doing 1 activity you could limit it to that. Once a week?

    71 days to go ...I can see it there on the right! Not long at all, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexis has missed many a gymnastic class and Little Billy has missed a few Boy Scout meetings - you are not alone!!

    Take care - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am all for simplicity. We don't do ANY planned activities in the summer, and have been able to bypass the winter ones so far. We try to shoot for just fall and spring. For now, it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether or not this baby makes it (mine not yours), I'm going to have to simplify too. Dave's never home, so I never have a soul to help me out.

    *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's a great idea. Maybe each kid gets one activity or maybe there's one activity that a few can all take. It's just too much on you to be running around like that, it makes me tired just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The truth is Kristen has been asking for the last couple of years to simplify our lives. I REALLY REALLY REALLY am going to miss hockey with the kids. However as she tends to be a single mom from September to the beginning of December it is the right thing to do. I screw up alot in life, getting something right is the least I can do for the amazing woman I love. The skiing will still allow me to get the sports fix with the boys and do it at the same time without running to multiple arenas in the city multiple times week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just listened to a podcast from Andy Stanley (northpointe church in atlanta) about creating margins in our life. the topic was our time. and he emphasized simplicity. sounds like you're moving in the right direction! need to be more aware of this for myself as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say---let the kids choose ONE major activity that they want to do. That way you are reducing the obligations, b/c you can only be in one place at one time. All of those committments...gosh, you must be the most organized person ever! Remembering all the appts...the whens & wheres...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine the craziness that happens when you're a Mom of 4 (or 5)?

    I've only got two and feel nutty most of the time!!

    You're my hero! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, we have ALWAYS had the rule, one activity at a time per child. Summers? Break time. It's a very good thing. I REFUSE to be a helicopter mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so hard! I try to stick to the one activity at a time thing, but sometimes there are so many fun things to chose from. I have said that my youngest (3) gets signed up for nothing except preschool, until my oldest can drive, which frighteningly enough is in just a few short years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids wanted to take taekwondo but they also like to play basketball- as of yet, they have not taken taekwondo.

    Last year we were looking at a house- it was only 7 miles out of town, and even though it was on 10 gorgeous acres, I considered the fact that I would have to make several 7 mile trips back and forth for practices and school events in a days time. I figured I would be in the car more than my new home- so we just kept the house we had- 2 miles from the school.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's good to simplify sometimes. I can't imagine how you keep up with all their activities. I am having a hard enough time with my one pre-schooler!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts