First Dentist trip


Hosted by Cecily and Mama Geek


The 4 big kids went to the dentist yesterday. It was Girly and Monkey's first real visit and they were so excited. They loved everything about it. Their Daddy has been going to this dentist since he was a boy and between him and his wife (and the awesome hygienists/staff) they made the kids first check up an easy, fun experience. Mrs. Dentist was so sweet to Monkey, explaining everything to him and everyone completely doted on the 'Princess'. Monkey Boy especially liked getting his teeth cleaned with sunglasses and a mirror! Both kids enjoyed 'tooth cam', seeing their little chompers on the tv.
Monkey was disappointed because he has some cavities. But he is excited that he gets to go back for fillings and another toy! The rest of the kids were cavity free, thankfully.
Mr. and Mrs. Dentist also had a little talk with Monkey about his thumbsucking. He finally said, "I guess I should stop, hey?" awww. He has been telling me for ages that he would stop when he is five and until now I agreed.
Mrs. Dentist had an awesome idea for us though. She suggested going and getting a special finger puppet and before bed (or any sucking prone time) Monkey Boy should put it on his thumb. Then he should talk to it and love on it and cuddle it to comfort himself to sleep. She said I should sit with him the first few nights to encourage this bonding and prevent the sucking.
I absolutely adore this positive, loving approach! I was a thumb sucker and all the icky tasting solutions and metal, spiky appliances in the world did not prevent me sucking my thumb until I was good and ready. The thumb puppet approach replaces the comfort of thumb sucking with another comfort object. Perfect! I guess we shall see how it works:)
Here are some dentist photos. (Polaroid generator by rawimage)

Comments

  1. My kids love the dentist and I am absolutely certain it's because of the attitude of the dentist and his helpers. Glad you have one that is that way Too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize dentists gave shots until I was a teenager. It seriously changed my dental life forever. Why did the other kids have to ruin it for me? I honestly loved going to the dentist :).

    Cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to the staff for making it fun and not scary and kudos to you for getting them there and keeping it fun and not scary!!!

    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are they?!

    I absolutely adore Folkmanis' puppets. I've ordered them for Christmas gifts a couple of years and they're DARLING. In fact, the little mouse finger puppet is in my travel bag at the moment. Take a look for something Monkey Boy might love?
    http://folkmanis.com/fingerpup_detail.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome!! why doe kids like the dentists these days? I hated mine as a child - he used to make me cry so bad!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids love the dentist too! I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! We have an appoinment to take our big boy (4), and he is not excited, to say the least. I don't know why, though, he doesn't even really know what a dentist *does*! I like the fingerpuppet idea; Beans is a thumb-girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved going to the dentist when I was a kid -- even with cavities, because it meant that I could have the gas.
    The fun wore off, when I had to start paying for the root canals myself.
    I love the sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great first dentist experieince - save the cavaties - Great idea fro the thumb sucking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun for them! My kids love going because they get stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids loved the dentist too but wow! A thumb sucking puppet! WAHOOOOO!!!
    I may just try that - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome that your kids enjoyed their trip to the dentist. My daughter does really good there too, but she's a thumbsucker and no matter what the dentist (or I) tell her she will not give it up. She's 4. I love the finger puppet idea. I might have to give that idea a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh I hate the dentist! Glad it went well for them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts